Saturday, August 2, 2014

Humerus R Us, Part Five – Medical Industry Humor

Having Humor Helps Health


By Rick Fromme


A Twisted Family Tradition ~ The Lime Jello Brain
A Twisted Family Tradition ~ The Lime Jello Brain (Photo credit: hurleygurley)
In case you haven’t seen this series’ previous four blogs ― Why not? What are you waiting for? ― every month I google the Internet in order to tickle your fancy by sharing medical and health-related humor.  The scientific name for the study of laughter and humor is Pfunniesology. No … seriously, it’s Gelotology.

As mentioned before, laughter has been found to:
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Increase vascular blood flow and oxygenation of the blood
  • Stimulate the diaphragm and abdominal, respiratory, facial, leg, and back muscles
  • Reduce certain stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline
  • Increase the response of tumor- and disease-killing cells, such as Gamma-interferon and T-cells
  • Defend against respiratory infections — even reducing the frequency of colds — by immunoglobulin in saliva
  • Increase memory and learning
  • Improve alertness, creativity, and memory
I don’t know about you, but to me it seems highly advantageous to imbibe a couple doses of this entertaining elixir every day. Here’s this month’s ’script of “Vitamin H”:

Brian Regan, Optometrist Humor

Doctor Dialogues

A doctor is doing rounds in the hospital and comes to visit a patient who’s had major surgery on both of his hands.
Patient: Doctor, was the surgery a success?
Doctor: Yes, it went very well.
Patient: Does this mean I’ll be able to play piano when the bandages are removed?
Doctor: Absolutely.
Patient: That’s fantastic! I was never able to play the piano before.

Doctor: Well, it’s evident you’ve been poisoned.
Patient:  For goodness' sake! , With what, Doc?
Doctor:  Don't worry, we'll find that out during dissection.

Doctor: Madam, please prepare your husband for the worst!
Wife: Oh God, will he die?
Doctor: No. He’s not allowed to drink beer.

Dentist:  Don’t worry, it will take me only a minute to pull your tooth out.
Patient:  And how much will it cost me?
Doctor: One hundred dollars
Patient: For a one minute procedure?!
Doctor: If you prefer, I can be pulling it out for one hour...

Nurse: Doctor, we lost our patient.
Doctor: What happened?
Nurse: He recovered.

Doctor: We need to get these people to a hospital!
Nurse: What is it?
Doctor: It’s a big building full of doctors.

Doctor: Nurse, how is that little boy doing, the one who swallowed ten quarters?
Nurse: No change yet.

Doctor: You’re in good health. You’ll live to be 80.
Patient: But doctor, I’m 80 now.
Doctor: See? What did I tell you?

Nurse: Doctor, there’s an invisible man in the waiting room.
Doctor: Tell him I can’t see him right now. Next.

Patient: My tongue tingles when I touch it to a cracked walnut wrapped in used toaster oven’s aluminum foil. What’s wrong with me?
Doctor: You have far too much free time.

Patient: Doctor, what do you recommend for excessive wind?
Doctor: A kite.

Doctor (to elderly patient): So, what you brought you in here today?
Patient: An ambulance. 

ER: Child with a Fever


Punditry

I once heard a joke about amnesia, but I forgot how it goes.

I was arrested after my therapist suggested I take something for my kleptomania.

Deafness is getting to be quite a problem for me lately. I never thought I’d hear myself that.

He had a difficult time bouncing back from his bungee cord accident.

My coach got stung by a bee. The next day she had hives.

The swollen blood vessels in her veins were very quarrelsome ― she had bellicose veins.

For relief during cosmetic surgery they use an aesthetic.
He’s a Freud of psychoanalysis.

Pharmacists find their work to be very encapsulating.

I don’t find health-related puns funny anymore since I started suffering from an irony deficiency.


Use This Handwash Style! (Barnet and Chase Farm Hospitals)

Quips ‘n’ Quotes

“My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn’t pay the bill he gave me six months more.” — Walter Matthau

“She got her looks from her father: He’s a plastic surgeon.” ― Groucho Marx

 “The art of medicine is in amusing a patient while nature affects the cure.” ― Voltaire

 “’Y O U R F L Y I S O P E N’ would be a fun chart for an eye doctor.” ― Greg Tamblyn

“Have you ever been in therapy? No? You should try it. It’s like a really easy game show where the correct answer to every question is: ‘Because of my mother.’” ― Robin Greenspan

“Nineteen percent of doctors say that they'd be able to give their patients a lethal injection. But they also went on to say that the patient would have to be really, really behind on payments.” ― Jay Leno

“General anesthesia is so weird. You go to sleep in one room, then wake up four hours later in a totally different room. Just like in college.” ― Ross Shafer

“The scrub sink ... is the place where doctors wash their hands after they operate so that they won’t get flecks of your vital organs on their Lexus’ upholstery.” ―Dave Barry

“When I was a kid, my doctor gave me candy so I’d have to see the dentist, who gave me small toys to swallow so I’d have to see the doctor. I think they came up with that one on Wednesday at the country club.” ― Ruminations.com

“My health insurance is cheap, but there are trade-offs. When I wanted to get a colonoscopy, they sent me a chimney sweep.” ― Greg Tamblyn

“The psychiatrist says "I'm OK and You're OK if the check's OK." ― Anonymous

"Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine." ― Lord Byron


In this article, I briefly described some of the physiological benefits that Gelotology researchers have found can be attributed to regular "doses" of humor.  I shared jokes,  quotes, puns, videos and images to tickle your fancy and funny bone.  If you liked this article, please pass it around and share it with others. If you'd like to leave a comment, link, joke, etc., please do so in the comments section below. Incidentally, Medmasters has its own social media group that's dedicated to promoting and sharing medical-related humor


Rick Fromme combines entrepreneurial enthusiasm with an insider's knowledge of the medical industry to co-found MedMasters.com. Both his drive and perspective helps provide health care professionals with a superior mechanism with which to communicate, network and market their strengths. Prior to founding MedMasters.com, Rick operated a highly successful medical device distributorship. Other milestones in his 12-year career in the medical industry include a key position at a medical device start-up company that was later sold to the Ethicon Endo division of Johnson & Johnson. You may also reach Rick by connecting with him on FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedIn and YouTube

Related Articles

2 comments:

  1. They say that laughter is the best medicine. I especially like the mice giving the computer mouse CPR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is always such an enjoyable series; I look forward towards reading and laughing with it each month. More "Tom Swifties," please?

    ReplyDelete